Stacks Image 689
1. Captain John Parker House, c. 1860 – 21 High Street
Italianate Style
Stacks Image 325
This is a two-story frame residence with frame corner boards, wide frieze, widely overhanging hipped roof, rear slope red-brick masonry chimney, two-story cross-gable rear ell, and one story front porch. The cross-gable ell has a side-gabled roof and is located on the east (rear) elevation. The ell wraps around both the north and south (side) elevations. The façade has three bays and the entry is centered. Fenestration consists of six-over-six and six-over-nine double-hung sash with simple frame surrounds. The first story façade windows extend from floor to ceiling. The full-width front porch has fluted Corinthian columns, a wide frieze, and hipped roof. The building is sheathed in horizontal board siding.

This house is architecturally significant as a well-preserved example of an Italianate style residence. Built c. 1860, the house can be found on the site on a map from 1874, where it is listed as the property of Captain John Parker. The 1870 census lists Parker as a 39-year old sea captain. By 1940, the Federal Census lists the residence as that of 52-year old William A. Ward and 36-year old Octave E. Leca, chemists at an extract company, presumably the Pond’s Extract Company.